Wednesday, November 10, 2010

#276 I'm With The Brand, A Post About Dr. Martens The Music Patron

Interesting article on the Mojo magazine website called I'm With The Brand, a headline so smart I wish I had though of it... but decided to steal nonetheless.
They talk about the patron-artist relation ship I mentioned a little while ago, in my post about Converse and there fully equipped, free for all studio.
What they mention, and I neglected, is the deal Converse makes with these artists. Most importantly: Converse has no say over the music, the artist will retain full ownership rights and the songs won't be used in any Converse ads.
Converse is simply giving back to a community that helped them build their brand through the likes of The Strokes and The Ramones, hoping in return for the good will of a new generation of consumers.

What I didn't know just yet, is that Dr. Martens did a similar thing earlier this year.
Celebrating their 50th anniversary, Dr. Martens created a free sampler of current bands doing covers of older bands and combined them with various up and coming directors. Those directors shot music videos and behind the scenes footage (that all look like fashion shoots). All for the cost of... your email address.

Watch MC5's Michael Davis and D.O.A. cover Cold War Kids' Something Is Not Right With Me below.

No comments:

Post a Comment